Pages

Thursday, October 07, 2004

The Lady of ladies

At the retreat last week, the retreat mistress asked me if I had a relationship with Mary the Mother of God. I conceded that it was in the very beginning stages, so she recommended a book for me to read.* (Actually, I got that question from a number of the women, so I think God is trying to get something through my skull.)

So it's a treat that today celebrates Our Lady of the Rosary. I have recently returned to the Catholic Church. There are some aspects of the way Mary is regarded and revered in the Church that I am not yet completely comfortable with. (Grammarians, please forgive my trailing preposition.) But I think about the beloved Mother of Jesus, so intimately present at the birth, ministry, suffering and death of her Son, praying for me out of the love that a mother has for her child. I am touched, honored, and I want to thank her. I want her to pray for the people I love who are in need or hurting. I want to know the love that she knows. I want to know Jesus the way she knows Him.

Do I feel like I have a relationship with her? I don't know. It's a start. God's in charge - I'll let Him look after this too.

- - - - - - - - -
* The book that was recommended to me is Introduction to Mary by Mark Miravalle. My good friends at Our Lady of Grace bookstore have ordered it for me. Thanks, Connie.

4 comments:

Therese Z said...

I would first say that I lack a good relationship with the Blessed Mother. But, on further review, just because I can't perceive it, it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

The evidence that comes to mind is meditating on the Mysteries of the Rosary. I find them absolutely, totally fruitful, different every time I come to them, emotionally striking, devastating in pointing to my sinfulness, even practical in application in life. I wonder if she isn't helping me with those?

I'm hanging loose, closing my ears to the over-sentimental approach some people take. Why shouldn't I? I try to turn my face away from the happy nice-nice Jesus that some people mistakenly embrace. I'll have to cut Our Lady more slack.

Roz said...

There must be something going on between the Mother of God and me, because I find myself reluctant to talk at a very deep level about it. Anything going on in my left brain I can analyze and opine on at length. When it's deep and touches my private "feeling" area, it goes underground and percolates, and even I don't know what's happening.

I can say that I was struck by the portrayal of Mary in The Passion of the Christ. Her strength, her motherly love, the regard and care with which Jesus' followers treated her -- all spoke to me in a significant way.

The idea that there's a real relationship with her available to me is delightful. Sort of like discovering that there are books by my favorite author that I haven't gotten to read yet. Great anticipation.

mojoala said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roz said...

I deleted the previous comment because it was off topic and didn't meet this blog's standards of charity and good will.

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009