Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Martyrdom by pinpricks

As some of you may know, I have been crutching around with a broken foot for a week or so. This is on top of two or three very busy weeks of travel, out-of-town guests, a high-school graduation and accompanying open house, etc.

It's been trying.

I really thought I was more resilient than this. I certainly thought my spiritual and emotional maturity would make mincemeat of a little minor incident like being laid up and subject to minor discomforts for a short period of time.

I was wrong. I don't know whether I've been unduly grumpy or irritable (you'll have to ask Henry), but I've been whining in my heart. I'm sore, I can't get from one end of the house to the other without it taking sooooo long, my posterior parts hurt from sitting so much, my leg is hot, I'm running out of yarn to knit, I feel guilty that Dear Husband is doing all the clean-up and laundry, etc. etc. In short, I'm a bit of an interior pain in the neck.

I am, however, learning things. I'm learning that I should start for the bathroom the minute it crosses my mind that it might be a good idea. I'm learning that the people in my life are sincerely sorry for my misfortune and are caring enough to do anything they can to make the situation better. I'm learning that there's a lot to be said for taking the time to pet the cat. I'm learning that it's not a waste of time to do what you can with the time, not what you wish you were able to do. And, I've learned that graduation parties are never attended by as many as you think you ought to cook for.

OK, I'm done now. (selfcenteredgrumbling = off)

3 comments:

Therese Z said...

My God, you're human!

Roz said...

Oh golly, yes. You needed more evidence?

Therese Z said...

It's reassuring - I admire much about you (not everything, don't get excited), and to hear you feel restless and grouchy and uncharitable and controlling is good. We all think we're the only ones who are being such punks.

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009