Pages

Thursday, July 08, 2004

St. Maria Goretti: my tastes must be changing

Tuesday was the feast day of St. Maria Goretti, the teenager who resisted rape to the point of being stabbed to death.

We've all seen the pious pictures and holy cards and I find them kind of ickily done. Eyes are always rolled up to Heaven, no muscle, no pores in the skin. Too pastel and perfect.

But her story is starting to grab me big time. Not that I have any purity left to protect, but I am moved by the report that she is said to have cried out to her attacker, "No, don't do it, it's a sin!" She was actually concerned about him committing a sin, possibly more than the danger to herself.

The heroic bravery of our saints and martyrs, facing ridicule, harassment, persecution, danger, pain, terror and death! Stop a moment and consider what they did, for the name of Jesus.

3 comments:

alicia said...

You would probably enjoy reading Kathleen Norris's comments on the Virgin Martyrs (including Maria Goretti) in her book The Cloister Walk. She did a great deal to help me to overcome my distate for what I originally saw as sickly sweet piosity in her tragic story. You might also be interested in the story of Blessed Maria Vicuna.

Roz said...

Oh, I do so wish that I had such a refrain in my head when I'm approaching wrongdoing. "No, don't do it, it's a sin!" May God call those words to my mind when they can do me the most good.

GG said...

hm, i wish i had that kind of...chutzpah. Praise God for his children who will go to the ends of their times for Him.

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009