Pages

Friday, October 28, 2005

I didn't expect to like this book



Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles by Raymond Arroyo, is doing exceptionally well on the NY Times Best Seller List. I got it from the library and read it in two nights. I couldn't put the darn thing down.

I've gotten a lot from her EWTN network, but I've never enjoyed seeing her own show, neither when she was healthy nor in reruns now after her stroke. She always seems too chirpy, old (in a bad way), and annoyingly smirky. But now that I've read the tough row she's hoed, operating without knowledge or money, with faith and guts, and in the face of condescending insults and irritating attempted power grabs by bishops and millionaire Catholics, I'm far more indulgent of what's been transformed for me into the slightly irritating personality of a eccentric genius.

Raymond Arroyo is a good story-teller and moves the story along. He's not too rah-rah, although he clearly dotes on her. The details are just as much a good business success story as a journey of faith.

0 comments:

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009