Pages

Friday, October 21, 2005

That's funny, I'd don't look Greek OR Jewish!

I might be drifting into an error. I am interviewing with several people at one company for a job I'd really like to have, and, in a desire to be obedient to God, to listen to His voice about not being puffed-up, prideful, or just not embroidering the truth in an interview, I've been praying in the car before I go in. "Lord, please give me an honest and humble heart, and let me know if this job is where You want me to be. I want to glorify You in this interview and in my work."

The first time I went, I noticed that the car to my left and the car facing me in the parking lot both had rosaries hanging from their rear-view mirrors. A sign? The second time, I met with someone who turned out to be related to a deacon at my church, with whom I get along well, and would probably say good things about me. A sign?

A sign of what? Is it "Take the job, Therese..." from a stentorian Voice? Or "I am with you always, Therese..." ditto?

In the years I spent slouching back into faith, I first started thanking God specifically when I'd get a nice close parking space, or if I caught a dropped cup before it broke, or the weather would be nice for something I planned. That became meaningless, because it wasn't based on a purposeful desire to be intimate with Jesus Christ. I still go through phases now where I try to thank God for lousy stuff that happens, so that I can offer it up and practice humility. I'm clear on the fact that He sends us personally-significant trials to test and strengthen our faith.

Now, am I looking at normal things and seeing signs? Is that valid? Maybe the right way to handle this is to see the "signs" and merely take them as reminders of God's role in my life, not as His special Howdy to me.

For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
(1 Cor 1:22-24)

0 comments:

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009