Pages

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A devastating loss

Michael Dubruiel, beloved husband of Amy Welborn, died suddenly yesterday, February 3 while running at the gym. Amy's blog, Charlotte Was Both, has been among the most important of my sources of carefully considered, well written and God-loving commentary on the Catholic Church ever since I first considered returning to it. Michael's heart was in the same place: service to God and his family, spreading God's word and the faith to as many people as possible. His books are notable. [Update: I'd forgotten to include a link to Michael's excellent blog, Annunciations.]

I met Amy and Mike when Amy spoke at a local parish a couple of years ago. Mike worked the book table, the kids looked out for one another and did a little homework, and Amy was her completely comfortable and personable self. I wish I had had the opportunity to become better acquainted with them, but the combination of fans and old friends kept them well occupied.

I know what it's like to lose a husband, though my children were older and we had time to prepare. I won't forget the feeling of going through the hardest thing in my life without the person who always had helped me through the hard things. Even I can't imagine what strength and grace it will take for Amy and the children to deal with the next days, weeks and months. But I know, as does Amy, that the grace will be there.

If anyone wants to do anything for the family, buy Michael's books. It will bless you and bless them.

Well-wishers may want to add a note here.

O God, by your great grace and mercy, the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus, and the grace and consolation of the Holy Spirit, receive your son Michael into heaven and give comfort and strength to his family and all who loved him. All you saints and angels, pray for us.

1 comments:

TS said...

Beautiful note on Amy's Facebook:

Next time you go to Target, it will be different. Grief is messy; the general trend is toward healing. But it's disorganized and sad and out of control. You don't expect too much of yourself and you do what you can do.

The Blessed Mother gets it, by the way.

The day we told our kids that their dad had cancer, we ended up renting "What's' Up Doc?" with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal and watched it as a family. Surprisingly, it's still a good memory for me and the kids.


You mind if I quote you on my blog?

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009