Pages

Monday, June 13, 2005

Please, St. Anthony, look around....

Something's lost and must be found!

Today is the feast day of St. Anthony of Padua, the gentle but effective preacher and evangelizer of the early 1200's. This Franciscan, who was, by the evidence of his surviving habit, quite a tubby guy (yay for us tubby people!) has become the popular saint for finding lost articles.

The kiddie prayer I wrote above should really be replaced by this one, to properly understand the role of the saints' intercession for us:

Dear Saint Anthony, you are the patron of the poor and the helper of all who seek lost articles. Help me to find the object I have lost so that I will be able to make better use of the time I will gain for God's greater honor and glory. Grant your gracious aid to all people who seek what they have lost - especially those who seek to regain God's grace. Amen.


Here's a prayer that St. Anthony himself wrote:

Ecce Crucem Domini!
Fugite partes adversae!
Vicit Leo de tribu Juda,
Radix David! Alleluia!


Behold the Cross of the Lord!
Be gone all evil powers!
The Lion of the tribe of Judah,
The root of David has conquered! Alleluia!


Nice short tight little prayer, glorifying the Lord. I love to learn more and come to love our models and friends in Heaven!

1 comments:

TS said...

I was taught this prayer:

"Dear St. Anthony I pray,
help me find [whatever] today!".

St. Anthony must like rhymes!

 

Followers

Sample Text

We are grateful ladies with a point of view and a sense of humor. Like-hearted people are welcome. Others, too.

For a glimpse at our lighter side, hop over to In Dwelling.

E-mail us.

Sample text

"There is no God who condones taking the life of an innocent human being. This much we know."

Pres. Barack Obama, Feb 5, 2009